Saturday, January 12, 2013

Midwest Makeup Supply, or, finally somewhere I can get my Kryolan and not have to sit on a bus for two hours...

Recently, I've stumbled upon this great little Twin Cities gem called Midewest Makeup Supply. One of my drag sisters pointed me in their direction, and I have to say I've been quite smitten with this little shop. I'll start by saying that this post is going to be purely regional. If you're not from the Twin Cities, or you never visit, you're probably going to think this information doesn't apply to you. Wrong. Keep reading.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for the company. They're not paying me, they're not giving me free stuff, (although if they did I wouldn't complain), and I'm in no way whatsoever affiliated with the company. I just really enjoy their product selection and the fact that they're not located in the middle of nowhere.

Midwest Makeup Supply

This little shop toutes that they "cater to professional makeup artists, body painters, performers and face painters who need products, tools and supplies." As a Twin Cities makeup artist, I'm quite frankly surprised that I haven't found this company sooner. Rather than having to order products online, I can now pick up most of what I need to do my job in one shop. 

Products

The thing I'm most excited about here is that they carry all of the theatrical-grade cosmetics I use on brides and models alike. Brands carried include Kryolan, Graftobian, Ben Nye, Temptu, and a host of other great brands that are usually only available online for most folks in most areas. They also cary a vast assortment of tools and disposable supplies that every up-and-coming and/or established makeup artist needs; disposable wands and spoolies, steel palettes and spatulas, bags and cases, empty cosmetics palettes and so much more. 

Service

The other thing that stood out most to me about the company was the service. As of now, the store is usually quite slow, (or at least it has been the few times I've paid them a visit) and their sales representatives are more than happy to assist you in every step of your purchasing adventure; answering questions, making recommendations, and even custom ordering things if they're out of stock. They also accept phone and online orders on their website. 



Why I'm so Excited, or, My Three Favorite Products

Most of the reason why I'm so excited for this little shop is the local availability of so many great professional-grade products. Here's a short list of my three favorite products that they have to offer.


Z-Palette

I reviewed this little gem in My 5 Favorite Things of 2012 post in my other blog, and I'm still ranting and raving. These palettes are great. They're just big enough to carry everything you need, but not too big that they take up too much space. The clear plastic lid allows you to see all your products at a glance, and the cardboard casing makes the palette sturdy, but light weight. These are seriously amazing. 

Temptu Dura Pro Palettes

These palettes are something that I've grown to be unable to live without as I've progressed in my prosthetics work. Dura colors are alcohol-based colors, great for working on prosthetics and SFX makeups. The color choices are amazing, and the palettes are offerend in different styles according to what effect you're going for including Corpse, Inked, Frozen, Grease and Grime, and Burn. They may be a bit pricy, but they're a must have for any aspiring SFX artist!



Lit Cosmetics Glitters

As you should have all figured out by know, I love glitter. I love it. However, I have very sensitive eyes, and most glitters, even high-grade cosmetics glitters, irritate my eyes and turn me into a watery, blood-shot mess. These glitters are specially designed to prevent just that; each glitter particle is circular and rounded instead of the more customary square, and made of a soft plastic. This means no hard, pointy angles, and no tears! They come in a huge variety of colors that are absolutely to die for!

As always, follow me on Twitter, like me on FaceBook,  visit my homepage at jaydhagberg.com, and check out my Youtube channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment