Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Makeup for Men

There's been a rising trend recently in men wearing makeup. Not just flamboyant or gay men, but men from all walks of life can benefit from a bit of makeup. Here's a breakdown of my morning routine.
  1. Cleanse, moisturize, and prime. Pick your favorite cleanser and moisturizer. I use the Mac volcanic ash exfoliator followed by Every Man Jack's face lotion. These steps are integral for overall skin health. Afterwards prime the skin. My primer of choice is the Mac Prep and Prime, but there are a myriad of other options out there.
  2. Conceal. Don't go overboard, but use a concealer under the eyes and on any problem areas. My favorite is Mac Studio Tech concealer in NW25 or the Bobbie Brown Tinted Eye Brighter in bisque.
  3. Foundation. There are two ways I normally go when it comes to foundation. The first, for when my skin is behaving and I don't need a whole lot of coverage, is to use the Mac Studio Moisture Tint in medium in lieu of my normal moisturizer. If I feel like I need more coverage, I buff on Mac Studio Fix powder in NW25 with a Sigma F80 brush and spray the whole thing down with Mac Fix+ spray to take down the matte finish of the powder.
  4. Bronzer. This step is very important to bring natural color variance back to your face. However, don't use bronzer to contour your face as a woman would. Instead apply it to the high points of the face where the sun would naturally hit such as the top of the forehead, bridge of the nose,  and cheek bones. My favorite product to use is Mac Mineralize Skin Finish in Deep Dark.
  5. Eyebrows. Make sure your brows are groomed and shaped. I don't mean to say that they should be tweezed and shaped to perfection, but they should be tidy. No one likes a unibrow or brows that are approaching the temples. Fill in th brows lightly with a pencil and set them with a brow gel, or better yet, some hairspray on an eyebrow spoolie.
  6. Eyes. Don't go overboard with the eyeshadow if you don't want to look overly made up. I usually apply some Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original and follow that with a bit more of my Studio Fix powder to even out the skin tone. Unless you want to rock the guyliner, simply tight line the upper lash line with a black pencil and apply a coat of mascara to make the lashes look fuller. Don't go overboard with the mascara or you'll end up with spider lashes. If you feel the black mascara is too much, grab a brown or a clear one.
  7. Lips. Let me start off by saying I live in Minnesota. It's cold and dry about 9 months out of the year. Conditioning and protecting your lips in such an environment is very important. In the morning and at night I like to use the Mac Viva Glam Ricky Lip Conditioner. I then follow that through the day with my trusty Blistex.


As always, follow me on Twitter, like me on Facebook, and visit my homepage at jaydhagberg.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment