Monday, January 21, 2013

Getting a job at MAC, or, How to Be a Makeup Artist

As many of you might know from my incessant ramblings on Twitter, I recently landed a new job as a freelance makeup artist at MAC here in Minneapolis. I'm extremely excited about this for two reasons: one, I get a discount and will be able to amp up my kit for a fraction of the price, and two, the training and tips involved will prove to be more valuable than anything from the experience.

Since I tweeted that I got the job, a lot of people have been asking how I got the job and what the interview entailed. So, without further adieu...


How to Get a Job at MAC

My interview process was actually rather simple. I had originally applied with the cosmetics department at my local Macy's in downtown Minneapolis, and was then referred to the MAC counter. After a few weeks of calling in and stopping in to talk to the manager, I was offered a demo interview. After the demo I was offered the job on the spot, and came back the next day to fill out all the paper work that a new job entails.

Why My Experience Was Out of the Ordinary

Prior to my interviews and demos I did a lot of research, and I mean a lot of research. I learned about the company history, the core values of the company, and their charitable and sustainable lines and programs. I learned who was who and what was what not only within the overarching company, but also in my area. One thing I've learned after talking to other MAC artists and reading interview summaries on Glassdoor.com, is that the interview process can be somewhat tedious. I applied for the position right around the end of the holiday season, so it was understandable why they took a few weeks to get everything in order. However, I was not given a formal oral interview with MAC. I did an oral interview with Macy's prior to applying to MAC, but after I put in my application, I was scheduled for a demo.

For those of you who don't know, a demo interview is just that; a demonstration of your abilities as a makeup artist. You bring in a friend to model for you, the hiring manager has a little chat with your friend before you start and assigns a scenario or a look. Your model then acts the part of a client and you act the part of a MAC artist and the manager watches and gives advice at the end. For instance, my model was given the part of someone who usually only wears a nude eyeshadow and liner, but wanted to experiment with color. My lovely model has vivid blue eyes, so I reached for Rule, a gorgeous bright, burnt orange shadow with a matte finish. I then paired this with amber lights over the top to tone down to the color a bit, with Espresso in the crease and Naked Lunch on the brow highlight and in the inner corner. Paired with a natural lip and coral cheeks, I was quite pleased with the final look. Afterward, the manager gave me some feedback, showed me a couple alternate application techniques, and told me to come back the next day to fill out the customary employment paperwork.

Tips for the Demonstration

  1. Dress the Part. This means head to toe black, closed-toe polished shoes, and styled hair. Keep it black, but trendy. Also, if you're of the feminine gender, make sure your makeup is on point. This is going to be the first demonstration of your skills, and first impressions are everything.
  2. Act the Part. Demonstration interviews aren't just about showcasing your skills. You need to be able to act the part of a MAC artist from the start. This means knowing everything there is to know about sanitary practices and makeup application, as well as having an in-depth understanding of the products and lines. MAC won't provide a great deal of training outside of new products and new lines, so you need to make yourself familiar with everything they have to offer before you walk in for an interview.
  3. Keep it Clean. Sanitary counter practices are at the core of any retail cosmetics jobs. Know how to sanitize various products, and keep your work station tidy throughout the course of the look. Don't double-dip and use disposable tools when necessary. When in doubt, clean it out.
  4. Take Risks. Be bold with your application and product choices within reason. In my case, I incorporated a rarely-grabbed-for product into the look, Rule. Showing that you understand color theory and how to incorporate colors that are usually out of the ordinary will definitely give you a leg up. However, if they ask for a natural, every day look, don't go over board. You wan't to be original and bold, while still remaining tasteful and within the realm of what the client wants. 
  5. Know How to Sell. Above all else, you're a sales associate when you're working at MAC, and will be expected to sell the product. Keep your product choices, including brushes, few and concise, and explain every step of the process. Ideally you want the client to walk away with every product you use in the look, so make sure you don't go over board. This means one or two face products, one eyebrow product, one or two lip products, no more than four eyeshadows, a liner, blush, and mascara, and no more than five or six brushes. If you use every brush in your belt the client is going to get overwhelmed and probably won't buy any of them. 
  6. Have fun. This is probably the most important advice I can give someone. Have fun with the look, stay calm, and talk to your client. "Small talk" not only fills in dead space in between up-selling and explanation, but also puts the client at ease. This shows that you know how to talk to clients and you're not afraid of making conversation. 
As always, follow me on Twitter, like me on FaceBook,  visit my homepage at jaydhagberg.com, and check out my Youtube channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment